Our economy is successful when it works for everyone and helps grow the middle class. Workable solutions to accelerate job growth and strengthen our communities include:
GROWING THE MIDDLE CLASS
- Updating the tax code to help working families keep more of what they earn and provide tax breaks to companies that invest in American workers.
- Improving job training and placement so that workers can build their career skills and companies have access to a well-trained, educated workforce.
- Raising the minimum wage to $10.10 to help lift millions of working families out of poverty and supporting pay equity so that working men and women receive equal pay for equal work.
- Protecting the retirement security of all Americans by strengthening and safeguarding Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid.
STRENGTHENING MANUFACTURING & EXPORTS
- Creating a national network of manufacturing hubs that bring together manufacturers and academic researchers to spur innovation and create advanced manufacturing jobs of the future.
- Connecting Rhode Island businesses with new customers abroad by providing export support and strengthening international and diplomatic relationships.
- Reducing taxes for small businesses and linking investment tax credits directly to jobs while closing tax loopholes for companies that ship jobs overseas.
- Reauthorizing the Ex-Im Bank to provide financing and credit insurance to encourage the sale of Rhode Island-made products abroad.
INVESTING IN INFRASTRUCTURE & INNOVATION
- Financing needed investments in local transportation, water, energy, and high-tech projects and increasing the share of federal funding for key projects that meet rigorous cost-benefit criteria and do the most public good.
- Modernizing T.F. Green Airport and expanding the runway to help attract new businesses, jobs, and visitors to Rhode Island and continuing to invest in Quonset Point to attract more jobs to the state.
- Bolstering scientific research and development nationwide, and strengthening Rhode Island’s innovation pipeline by fostering collaboration between federal agencies, research universities, and businesses to accelerate the commercialization and deployment of new products, services, and concepts.
- Reducing energy costs and creating green jobs by increasing energy efficiency across many sectors of our economy--from schools and homes to commercial buildings, industry, and manufacturing.
ADVANCING EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES AND OUTCOMES
- Expanding child care and pre-K education to provide more kids with an academic head start and making child care more affordable for parents and safer and more enriching for children.
- Making college more affordable by increasing Pell grants, allowing student loan borrowers to refinance, and holding colleges and universities accountable for student loan defaults by requiring them to have some skin in the game.
- Supporting public libraries to ensure everyone in the community has access to educational opportunities.
- Ensuring all students have a fair shot at college and career readiness by providing, modern, well-equipped schools, high-quality teaching, and opportunities for career exploration.
BOOSTING TOURISM & FOREIGN INVESTMENT
- Helping the state become a magnet for foreign investment and boost local economic development projects through federal initiatives such as the EB-5 Regional Center Pilot Program.
- Supporting investments in innovative arts, culinary, entertainment, and recreational opportunities that can serve as a catalyst for economic development and make Rhode Island a unique, world-class tourist destination.
- Helping position Rhode Island as a business-friendly location of choice for foreign companies looking to establish a North American headquarters or a presence along the eastern seaboard.
- Creating a new national historic park in the Blackstone River Valley to preserve our history and invest in Rhode Island’s future by providing new environmental, historical, cultural, and educational benefits for the state and the region.
EXPANDING ACCESS TO CAPITAL FOR RI COMPANIES & SMALL BUSINESSES
- Ensuring all creditworthy small businesses have access to the credit and technical assistance they need from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and increasing the amount of business loans that well-capitalized credit unions may issue to local businesses.
- Supporting the Community Development Financial Institutions Fund (CDFI), which promotes job creation, business development, provision of basic banking services, and financial literacy training.
- Boosting investor confidence and the integrity of our markets by ensuring strong oversight of Wall Street.
- Increasing federal funding for entrepreneurial development grants, which provide technical assistance, training, and business planning guidance for starting and growing small businesses.
ACCELERATING COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
- Delivering Community Development Block Grants to provide cities and towns with a flexible source of federal funding to promote neighborhood revitalization and community and economic development efforts.
- Making our communities safer by supporting local law enforcement, fire fighters, and first responders and providing them with the equipment and resources they need.
- Helping businesses cut through red tape and streamlining the regulatory process in a way that protects public health and welfare while eliminating outdated regulations.
- Building coalitions of business, labor, civic, and community leaders to partner effectively with the public sector to leverage investments that will improve the quality of life for all Rhode Island residents.
FOSTERING STRONGER TIES BETWEEN THE RI DEFENSE INDUSTRY & THE U.S. MILITARY
- Protecting and sustaining Rhode Island’s military installations and the local defense industry.
- Strengthening partnerships between the U.S. military and Rhode Island’s private sector and academic community to develop new maritime equipment and cybersecurity technology to enhance national security.
- Responsibly replacing the across-the-board spending cuts known as sequestration, which would have a negative impact on the state’s defense industry.
- Continuing to advance the RI-based production of Virginia-class submarines and the next generation of submarines that will help strengthen our nation’s defense capabilities.
REBUILDING AFFORDABLE HOUSING
- Reforming our housing finance system so that it is fair, stable, and won’t needlessly drive up mortgage rates and borrowing costs, put taxpayers at risk, or give big banks an unfair advantage at the expense of consumers and smaller community lenders.
- Creating and sustaining affordable, efficient, multi-family housing in communities throughout Rhode Island and encouraging the development of mixed-use, livable communities that attract and serve residents and businesses with convenient transportation, safe neighborhoods, and access to parks, culture, and entertainment.
- Increasing support for “land banking” to allow communities to buy, hold, and redevelop distressed properties as part of a long-term redevelopment strategy.
- Supporting community-based construction training programs that lead to trade union apprenticeship training and career pathways.
SAVING JOBS & HELPING UNEMPLOYED RHODE ISLANDERS RETURN TO THE WORKFORCE
- Backing proven, cost-effective work share programs that help workers earn a steady paycheck and allow companies to save when they’re forced to temporarily scale back.
- Restoring unemployment insurance to provide some much needed stability and support to the long-term unemployed and their families, as well as to local businesses and our economy as a whole.
- Encouraging businesses to hire veterans who have been out of work, and extending education and training benefits to those who served.
- Improving financial literacy and connecting people with the resources and information they need to succeed and plan for a sound financial future.